RSS
The point of this blog is to chronicle every movie I will watch in 2010. These are not professional reviews, more like recaps. Just curious where my movie taste goes (and how much time I spend watching them) this year.

Sherlock Holmes



How It Was Viewed: In Theatres

Year of Release: 2009

Previously Seen?: No

Rating: 4 Stars


I wanted to see this movie and include it in my list for 2009. However, I missed by a few days and ended up seeing it on Saturday, January 2. It was my last night visiting my family in South Dakota and we wanted to go to the movies like we had when they lived in Crestview. We flipped a coin on whether to see Sherlock Holmes or The Blind Side and thankfully Holmes won on that exchange. Not to say, Blind Side isn't a bad movie (I am actually interested in it and it will probably show up on this list by year's end) but I really wanted to see this movie. Allow me to explain a little.

I know Robert Downey Jr has been in the game for a while, but I didn't take notice of him until Iron Man, a movie I wasn't that excited about (and now am PUMPED for the sequel). Then, he had a unique performance in Tropic Thunder that is one of the best I have ever seen. But then along came The Soloist and as good as Jamie Foxx was in that movie, I felt that was the moment that Downey made me take notice. It was after The Soloist that I declared "I will see any movie with Downey Jr in it." Then, add in elements such as a (what I hoped was going to be a good) story and the lovely Rachel McAdams and I was in.

I have to say I was pleased with it. In fact, I was happy with it. It did what it was supposed to and that was to entertain. Downey played his part well, but so did everybody else in the cast. I love movies like these where they put a lot of detail into the time period. But I also appreciated the humor as I did find myself laughing more than I expected. The story wasn't complicated and didn't bore me as late movies sometime leave me uninterested (it was a 10:30 showing).

If I had to nitpick, it would be something a friend of mine pointed out that I ended up noticing but at times it became hard to understand. Not the story, but the accents. They talked so fast and with so much of an accent, I remember an entire conversation going by that I had no idea what was just said.

Also, this could go either way -- good or bad -- but the fact that it's obvious there is going to be a sequel; I'm not sure how I feel about that. On one hand, I'm glad I could look forward to another one. On the other, what if it flopped? Then we would be left with a big unanswered question.

Final verdict: It was a fun two hours. If you're tight on cash, I could understand waiting until DVD. But if you just want to get away for a little bit, go see it.

10 comments:

Yet said...

I want to see this movie badly!!

Mr O said...

It was good, so you should!

By the way, you were my first comment ever on this blog, so thanks for that. Stick around for a while...

Jeanette said...

Yeah it was good... I saw it too close to Avatar so I was still too impressed with how awesome that was so I think I need to rewatch it with a fresh mind. Although I did notice the accents too... and I think this movie was more of a standout for Jude Law than Downey for me. Both were good but Jude was just more interesting to me I guess.

Also Blindside is grrreattt. But I love Sandra Bullock.

Cassie said...

I never really paid attention to Robert Downy Jr. til Iron Man either and I am also very excited about the sequel to it!

I thought Sherlock Holmes was fantastic, but I was kind of irritated at how they ended it. I'm not really a big fan of movies that set you up so much at the end. I mean, I would definitely go see Sherlock Holmes 2 or whatever, I just hate when they do that.

But speaking of sequels, are you a fan of Boondock Saints? If so, did you see the 2nd one. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on it.

Mr O said...

@jeanette:
I should have said more about Law. He was pretty good and now I want to see Heath Ledger's last movie a little bit more.

P.S. you were the friend that told me about the accents

@Cassie:
First, thanks for being the second follower.

Second, I'm glad we are kind of on the same wavelength of this movie. Hopefully your thoughts will be similar as the year goes on.

Third, the Baisas made me watch the first one and I thought it was straight. Will probably watch the first one again when the second comes out on DVD.

Lisa said...

I saw Sherlock Holmes on Christmas (first time going with family to the movies on Christmas!) and the theater was jam packed. We had seats at the wayyyy front. Despite this, I was glued to the screen throughout the entire movie...all 3 main actors are some of my all-time favs, and they were all really good in it. And I agree with Downey in The Soloist...I saw that on the airplane and I didn't think too much about it (never saw any promos when I was in the UK) and it was such a touching story. I loved it! Makes me want to watch it again soon...

By the way, The Blind Side is pretty amazing! Go see it!

Laura said...

See, i told you I would stop by! I loved Sherlock Holms, partially because I've read some of the original books, partially because I've been a HUGE fan of Robert Downey Jr. since forever, and partially because I love a stylized movie. And this was hugely stylized with the music, the sepia tones, and the rapid fire dialog. Movies used to be much more intelligent than they are now and I think the dialog in this movie was brilliant. Moriarty is Holms' arch nemesis, so I'm really looking forward to the second one.

And Robert Downey Jr. played a very interesting Holms, much more like the character was written. So yay! Also, probably the reason you didn't pay attention to him before Iron Man is because he actually had to screen test for that movie due to the insanity that his drug problem caused his reputation. He disappeared for awhile. If you have a chance, watch Chaplin. He's amazing in that movie. He was nominated for an oscar.

God I'm long winded!

____j said...

I liked Sherlock Holmes. I don't think liked is the right word....I mean, I love me some Robert Downey Jr & Jude Law.

Sara Strand said...

Um, I'll see anything with Downey Jr. in it. Jude..well only if he gets a different hair piece. ;) I very much want to see this- probably will wait until DVD because I can only take dealing with crazies in public so much in one day. ;X

Mr O said...

@Lola:
I think it's awesome how much you knew about this. We should go to the movies one day, my treat. And I've added those movies to my netflix, now all I need to do is watch them...

@j:
then you must have been swooning over this movie

@Sara:
see it when it comes on DVD for sure. And does anything mean Iron Man 2? Cuz I will be there opening weekend haha

Post a Comment

What did you think?

 
Copyright 2009 Mr O At The Movies. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Bloggerized by Miss Dothy