RSS
The point of this blog is to chronicle every movie I will watch in 2010. These are not professional reviews, more like recaps. Just curious where my movie taste goes (and how much time I spend watching them) this year.

Iron Man / Iron Man 2



How It Was Viewed: Rented (Non-Netflix)

Year of Release: 2008

Previously Seen?: Yes

Rating: 4 Stars

When this movie came out, I have to admit: I wasn't excited. Somehow, Robert Downey Jr. had slipped under my radar and though I am know the big comic book stories (Spider-Man, Batman, Superman) some of the others, like Iron Man, I had no idea. So I didn't even have plans to see it. But it was out during Mother's Day that year and we all went down to visit, that's what we ended up doing.

The week before, my roommate went to see it and said he came out and had dreams that he was flying like Iron Man. When I came out of the theater, I had that same vision. Basically, I liked it.

So when I rented it last week, it was basically to get myself ready for Iron Man 2. But I would be lying if I said I didn't drive around later that day wanting to fly in the air. Because I drove around later that day wanting to fly in the air. I told you I wouldn't lie to you.

I think this movie was ultimately successful because of one reason: Downey. Some people just seem to be made for roles and he seemed to be made to be Tony Stark. His supporting cast was pretty good. I'm a Terrance Howard fan so I was glad to see him in a major movie (but sad he wasn't in the second one... read below).

I liked how the story developed. But like most starting comic book movies, I was left with the question of "what now?"



How It Was Viewed: In Theatres

Year of Release: 2010

Previously Seen?: No

Rating: 4 Stars


Answering the question of "what now?", IM2 picks up exactly where the first one left off. This is with Stark revealing that he is Iron Man. Then the movie starts to go into the point, revealing characters and plot lines that I will try not to discuss too much.

As stated earlier, Downey makes the movie as Stark. But I feel his supporting cast in this movie was even stronger. Mickey Rourke has had a resurgence lately, Gwyneth Paltrow is likable once again as Pepper Potts and Sam Rockwell plays a good "villian" type role.

Other people to be mentioned: Don Cheadle is a great actor, so he was able to take over Terrance Howard's role nicely, though I still would have loved to have seen Howard there as their character had a much larger role this time around. Scarlett Johansson also plays her part as The Black Widow (though she is never mentioned by name as that being her name) and can I add she looks hot doing so? Even Samuel Jackson has more than just a mere cameo in this movie as Nick Fury. Well, it's still a cameo, but it doesn't come at the end like the first one.

Overall, I really liked it. I had heard from various people that there was "too much story, not enough action." I have to say I disagree. There were about three "fight scenes" and a story needs to be told here as it's obvious with all the crossover (Captain America's shield appearing in both films, the appearance of Nick Fury, Tony Stark at the end of The Hulk) that they are teasing an eventual Avengers film. Plus, look at Transformers 2 and see how too much action can ruin a movie.

Both of these movies were better than solid in my opinion. I couldn't give them more than 4 stars for two reasons. One, there were still some issues I had with both, but I don't want to go into that for any sort of spoilers. Two, to be considered 5 stars for a comic book movie you have to be on the level of The Dark Knight. I really don't see another movie doing that.

Final Verdict: If you haven't seen the first one, go do it. Then watch the second one. Then go watch The Hulk if you haven't seen it. Get yourself ready for the eventual movies (Thor, Captain America, The Avengers, Iron Man 3) set to come out in the future.

3 comments:

Cassie said...

I had no idea about the crossover thing, I guess I'll have to go rent the Hulk now! Um, and yes Scarlett Johansson looked hot! I wish she had had more "badass" screen time LOL. The whole time she was fighting I was telling Jason that I want to be a badass superhero chick!

Sara Strand said...

I have to see both of these. My brother said I'm a complete disgrace to him until I see at least the first one. This will change very soon. Big sparkle confetti and promises.

Also, Scarlett is fucking hot. I say a promo pic of her in her Black Widow gear and I immediately thought- even though it's impractical and not something I'd ever wear outside of the house because I have pride....I want that outfit. I would totally, just once, like to wear something like that.

This has taken a weird turn. ;)

But Downey? Yes please.

Harley said...

I own Iron Man on DVD and just went to see the second one yesterday.

I want one of those case suits. Seriously was that awesome or what??

Post a Comment

What did you think?

 
Copyright 2009 Mr O At The Movies. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Bloggerized by Miss Dothy