RSS
The point of this blog is to chronicle every movie I will watch in 2010. These are not professional reviews, more like recaps. Just curious where my movie taste goes (and how much time I spend watching them) this year.

The Blind Side



How It Was Viewed: Zune over Xbox Live

Year of Release: 2009

Previously Seen?: No

Rating: 5 Stars

I've talked a lot about Netflix, but I guess there is one more medium to add to the list. Xbox has a way to watch movies, not just on Netflix, but on their partnership with Zune. This was another movie that I watched while sitting in Auburn, AL and my sister and brother-in-law were watching in Rapid City, SD and we were watching on the same connection, so when he had to pause it paused on my TV. I love technology.

But on to the movie. As you can see by the star rating, it was great. I've heard people talk about how good it was, and not to be stereotypical, but even females loved it. I throw that in there because I think why a lot of men will enjoy this movie is because it is a football movie. There are scenes of old school and pro football, and when it gets to the part in his story where it even shows the actual coaches that were there at the time. For example, the University of Alabama's Nick Sabin (booooooo) showed up as the coach for LSU, who he was the head off at the time. Even Auburn's own Tommy Tubberville made an appearance. These coaches showed up because the film's main character, Micheal Oher, was living in Tennessee. It's a southern state, so all the SEC teams were showing up to recruit him.

My interest in this movie grew even more when I heard that Sanrda Bullock won the award for best actress, and let me say that she totally deserved it. Sometimes when people try to take on the "Southern" role, they overdo it and it sounds so. But Bullock captured it perfectly in my opinion. Even Tim McGraw, who previously acted in another football movie, "Friday Night Lights," was good in his role as the husband and father of the family.

Another thing stuck out to me when this story was being told. There are displays of racism and there are so many sports movies that have been done about the era of the 50s and 60s ("Remember the Titans" is a classic) that you would think that that's where this movie was taking place. However, it's time period had to have been the late 90s early 2000s considering he just went pro last year. It's terrible to think that some of that still exists, but now it has sort of returned into a reverse racism on the football field. Where the Southerners may not like black people, but they like them to play football. End rant.

Final verdict, the movie was great. I don't think you necessarily need to be a fan of football to enjoy this movie. It helps, but not needed. In other words, if you haven't seen it yet, you need to.

5 comments:

Jaime Hungry said...

I actually almost bought this movie yesterday. I kind of wish I did. I haven't even seen it yet but I know I will love it. Sandra Bullock is one of my favorite actresses of all time.

Sara Strand said...

ah...FINE. I'll rent it this week (hopefully). I've been refusing to watch it because I cannot sit through another sappy movie after my Remember Me cry fest in the theatre. At least this will be in my home and I likely won't cry. ;)

Laura said...

OK, so you have basically hit my genre of movies. I adore sports motivational more than any other because even when they are bad, they still can pull from you a sense of gratification when the underdog wins. Though this movie is one of the best the genre has to offer. It's awesome.

Lisa said...

Did anyone hate this movie? I saw it with my friend sometime right after the new year and I loved it! I got a little teary at some parts because the story was just so touching, and the fact that it was based on a true story just broke my heart at times. Loved it!

P.S. "Remember the Titans" should be on everyone's movie favorites list!:)

Iva Messy said...

I haven't seen this yet!!! BUT I HAVE TO!! great review!

Post a Comment

What did you think?

 
Copyright 2009 Mr O At The Movies. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Bloggerized by Miss Dothy