
How It Was Viewed: Netflix via streaming
Year of Release: 2008
Previously Seen?: Yes
Rating: 5 Stars
First time I saw this movie was after Frisco saw it with his sister and he said she was balling like a baby in the theatre. He told me to go see it, so I mentioned it to Hedman and off we went. I liked it so much that when I went to visit my sister the next weekend, I made them go see it and she cried as well (she made us sit there while everybody left so nobody would see her).
But for the 2010 viewing (so that it would qualify for this blog) Frisco randomly said to me one night "Is Seven Pounds on streaming?" and I checked and sure enough, there it was. So we added it and for the rest of the night remembered why this was such a great movie and Will Smith is such a great actor.
For those that haven't seen it, only read this paragraph. I'm man enough to say that I got choked up -- all three times. That's how deep this movie is. If you haven't seen it, I don't want to say what this movie is about at all as it's better if you just let the movie tell you (that's how I was the first time I saw it).
DON'T READ THE NEXT PARAGRAPH IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT
But for those that have seen it, when did you figure out what was happening? Hedman figured it out about five minutes before I did, but I got it when Smith's friend started confessing stuff to him. I can tell you the exact scenes where this movie gets to me -- which is crazy because I KNOW it's coming, yet I still have to turn away and try to fight back the tears quietly. The first scene is when they show his friend in the doctor's office telling them to go ahead with the procedure. The second is when they show the main girl get the call on her beeper. I could only imagine what it must be like to get that great news, then to look and see that you were the only one in the bed. Not to get too deep, but death is kind of a touchy subject for me so movies like this really kind of hit me hard. Not like, make me sad and want to get out of the place, but it just makes me think. A lot.
YOU CAN START READING HERE IF YOU STILL HAVEN'T SEEN IT
As far as watching it this year, Frisco said at the end that he saw what he needed, that felt better about life. I went to work and told my co-worker who still hadn't seen it to go get it immediately. She told me afterward that it was great and she also cried like a baby.
In closing, I just want to say that Will Smith HAS to be in the top 5 of greatest actors -- ever. I will go that far. I mean, he was pretty much the only person in I Am Legend and he carried that movie. If you haven't seen this movie, as soon as you hit the x button on your browser, go get it. If you have seen it, do yourself a favor and see it again.
BONUS FEATURES:
When we were on our road trip, we passed through Monterey so we stopped at the aquarium and tried to take a replica of the scene that was in the movie, so here is Frisco doing his best young Will Smith:
Speaking of Will Smith, I just saw a trailer for the new Karate Kid... featuring his son. I'm not going to lie, I want to see this movie.







6 comments:
Jesus Christ- am I like the only person to not see this?! But I NEVER get to go to the movies, the last one I saw was New Moon (if you aren't counting The Princess and the Frog and if we're being real- totally cried when Ray died. Even Olivia was like, "MOM..it's a movie. Embarrassing" She's 4. Oy.)And before New Moon? Jesus..uh...Horton Hears a Who?? Cue "This is your life" game show music now..
Yay, you updated this! :) I have been meaning to see this movie! I have heard only good things about it...apparently it's really deep and has a powerful message.
Love the Monterey pic!
Funny story: my brother and his friends were going out one weeknight when this first came out, and they begged me to come with them to the movies but I decided not to go. When they came back, the look on their faces was PRICELESS. They were like, wtf, it was a Will Smith movie...we thought it would have been a comedy. Good thing I didn't go, otherwise I would have witnessed all 3 of them shed tears in a movie theater. :)
This movie is definitely in my top 10. I EVEN BOUGHT IT, and you know I never do that. But when I did buy it, I watched it like three days in a row. Yep, I was addicted. I love Will Smith, and I loved the story line [as sad as it was]. I, too, have a jellyfish picture, but you know this.
@Sara & Lisa:
I really hope you guys skipped the parts that gave it away... now go see it!
@j:
I was like "jme better reply to this, I know she likes this movie." And yea, you buying a movie definitely says something
I love this movie. I cried for about 20 solid minutes at the end of it.
We own the movie now so every time I just feel like I need to cry, I'll watch this movie.
I will never watch this movie again!
Not to say it was bad, because it wasn't. It was fantastic. Well acted, well written, well shot. Everything was done well. I love Will Smith!
But talk about a sad movie! I can only take so much! Haha.
Great post and blog. Thanks!
Post a Comment
What did you think?