
How It Was Viewed: Netflix by mail
Year of Release: 2009
Previously Seen?: No
Rating: 3 Stars
So in the animated world, you have the King -- Disney/Pixar (Toy Story, Finding Nemo, Cars) and then you have the Prince -- Dreamworks (Shrek, Kung Fu Panda). If you are not the King or Prince, you might as well be the jester, because you are getting lost in the shuffle. Just like this movie did.
This movie wasn't bad, but it just didn't have that great feel to it that animated movies have come to deliver. This is for another post, but I feel the success of Avatar has hurt the expectations for movies like Alice in Wonderland. I feel the same way that movies like Up! have raised the bar for movies like this, a bar that is near impossible to reach.
The plot is basically this: It's an aliens come to Earth movie, but in reverse. We (the humans) go to a planet thought to be uninhabited but it has this whole population already there. Cue the finding out that the aliens (humans) aren't harmful and everybody gets along in the end.
Ok, I have to be honest. I only wanted to see this movie because Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson was the voice of the main character. And he played his part. Yes, I'm biased but he played his part. I think he could actually have some great roles as a voice actor.
Justin Long is probably considered the main star (main voice?) but c'mon, The Rock puts people in the seats! Seriously though, I like Long and he did his part in this movie. As did Jessica Biel, Sean William Scott and Gary Oldman.
But that's the thing, everyone just did their part. So while I enjoyed yet another movie with The Rock, I don't think I can recommend this to anyone looking for a good movie to get them through the night.
Unless you have kids. They will like it and it could serve as a distraction for an hour or two.







4 comments:
Oh damn. Now I'm undecided. My kids are pretty damn fickle with movies and they will let you know. So maybe I'll rent it first. On like double Tuesday or something. Have you seen Princess and the Frog? We have. 23 times the weekend. *sigh*
I have to say, and I'll probably get flack for it, but as much as I loved UP it's not my favorite or even in my top 3 of animated Pixar/Dreamworks movies. Finding Nemo is way ahead of it in my book.
@Sara:
If they are fickle, they may not like this. I have Princess and Frog to in my queue haha
@jeanette:
At first I was like What! Then I realized I already knew that. But it was made ok by the fact that you said Nemo is way ahead, considering it is one of the greatest ever
Even though I don't have kids, I am very immature and love animated movies...so I may have to watch this one!
Post a Comment
What did you think?